Tuesday

Pathetic Public Schools : Archive news

Vol. 20 :: No. 02
SPOTLIGHT
THE NATIONAL NEWSMAGAZINE
July 07 - July 13 , 2000.

"I Will Give Priority To Research Works"— Sumnima Singh



SUMNIMA SINGH made a history in the early morning of July 1, 2000 by becoming the highest scorer ever in the SLC exams. A 16-year-old girl, Singh was overjoyed to know she topped this year's SLC and that too with record 647 marks securing 92.43 %. Also interested in literature, Singh wants to become a scientist in future. A student who secured the first position in SLC result, wants to be a scientist. A student of Sidhartha Banasthali, Singh shared her joys with NISHCHAL CHAPAGAIN . Excerpts :

Did you think you would top the SLC?

I was confident that I would find a place in top ten list but I had no idea that I was going to top the list.

Two weeks before the publication of SLC results, your principal predicted that his student would become board first. How do you look at it?

I think his statement was based on his confidence in me. He is aware of my hard work and family background. The assessment of other teachers of my school could also have helped him make the statement. But I am disappointed at the manner in which many newspapers misinterpreted his good intention.

How could he particularly point out your name when there were so many other competent students?

I told you that it was his confidence in my hard work. There is nothing more than that.

A girl who had featured in the top ten list of last year's SLC is said to have failed in one subject in campus. Doesn't this indicate there is something wrong in the whole system of SLC ranking?

I don't know about her case but I will prove my efficiency.

It is charged that irregularities are rampant in SLC board. What is your impression on that?

I don't think that there are irregularities in SLC board. Such problems may happen because there is vast gap in SLC course and higher education. The background of SLC alone is not enough to complete higher education. What is required is further labor. I will work harder in the higher education level.

How do you see the decision of SLC board to retain only two places in the board this year?

I don't agree with the step taken by the government. Board system is based on competition and not on corruption and irregularities. I think they should encourage competition among the students of different parts of the country. There is no rationale behind the decision to do away with the board system. If there are any bad practices, they should correct it. Canceling the total system of publishing top ten list will discourage competition among students. Take my case, I had prepared for last so many years to achieve this feat.

What do you want to be in future?

I will pursue with science. I will definitely give priority to research work. I also want to take up literature along with my study. In the next 25 years, I want to do something fruitful in the sector of science and technology.

No comments: